Carolina Kingfish
Carolina's King Mackerel Series .......... The Trail Begins !

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Carolina Kingfish
Carolina's King Mackerel Series .......... The Trail Begins !
Carolina Kingfish
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Area but fishing NC Trooper Tourney

2 posters

Go down

New to Area but fishing NC Trooper Tourney Empty New to Area but fishing NC Trooper Tourney

Post by Quigley Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:42 am

I thought I'd jump on this opportunity to not only help the NC Trooper Assn but to be a part of assisting in getting this tournament's first year off the ground.

That said, I am new to this area when it comes to king fishing (have done a lot of it off the NE coast of Fla). I'm used to using large pogies (which I net cast for) and slow troll off a beach area. But your waters may be entirely different in terms of where to catch bait and where the smokers hang out at this time of year.

So, I'm asking any of you for advice that one typically would not provide in preparation for a tournament. But heck, the trooper assigned to my boat has never fished and I want to show him a good time with some tight lines, even if we don't get the biggest one.

Several people have said that in October/November that the big kings tend to be east of Cape Lookout Shoals. No word as to whether they would be close in off the beach or over a reef somewhere. Anyone care to share a few "secrets" under these conditions?

Thanks, in advance, for any tips. Quigley

Quigley

Back to top Go down

New to Area but fishing NC Trooper Tourney Empty Re: New to Area but fishing NC Trooper Tourney

Post by Back-Lash Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:04 pm

crossing the shoals can be a buggar bear ,,, being new to the area I would wait and follow a local that crosses ,,,,,,, we used to cross at the queen mary cut which was maybe a few hundred yeard off of the point . I have not fished east side this year yet .

as far as the spots you have many options as soon as you cross you can hit the george summerlin aritfical reef , then the 30 minute rock , the 1700 rock , atlas tanker , 4 mile rock which is off of drum inlet or if you find a wad of bait all of these haave produced winning fish this year and are on most charts & electronic maps ,,,, west side of the shoals you have the shipping channel , dead tree hole , the clay bottom , barton's inlet , the triple nickle of 555 , east rock , big 10 little 10 rock bardge thr trawler bouy and most of these are on charts & electronic maps ,,,,,,,,, winning fish have come from anyof these places in the past also
as far as pogeys maybe some local to morehead will post about that but I am sure it will be after the Swansboro Rotary Tourney before they will
Back-Lash
Back-Lash
Admin

http://www.backlashfishing.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down